Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Obedience is Better than Sacrifice

 
My son Justin's 5th grade class--He's that well-behaved child in the blue stripped shirt on the front right.

"And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord?  Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat the rams" 1 Samuel 15:22 (KJV).

          I am the mother of six children.  When one of my children listens to me and obeys my directions, I am delighted.  Simple obedience brings peace and contentment; whereas disobedience can bring much disappointment, confusion, and grief.  How many times as a parent have I lamented, "If only she had listened to me . . . if only he had listened."  So much heartache, so many troubles could have been avoided, if only they had listened and obeyed my voice.

          Our mature perspective shaped by life experiences allows us as parents to foresee the outcomes of some actions and decisions, giving us the wisdom to direct our children to make right choices.  When they don't obey, and the inevitable consequences follow, we endeavor to intervene to keep heartache from turning into heartbreak, setback into disaster, disaster into ruin.  We waste countless hours; we lose peace.  Simple obedience would have been better than all our efforts to make up for the disobedience.

          How much more so does God see all things?  He knows the beginning from the end.  How much more does God desire for His children to obey His voice?  God asks for our obedience.  He expects us to pay attention to His words.  In fact, He says that if we love Him, we will obey His commands (John 14:21). 

"Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams."

          Have you had the experience of wishing you had listened to the wise counsel of God found in the Scriptures?  Can you use that experience as a reminder to obey God in all things. 

Anne Marie, Justin, and Robbie--Three of my children.
 
          Thank God for His mercy to forgive us when we have caused Him pain by our disobedience.  I pray for the strength and the will to be obedient to Him at all times.   
 
Note to my readers:  The book give-away continues through Friday, so read the previous post and follow the instructions to enter.  Blessings to you today.

1 comment: