Thursday, November 15, 2012

Giving God the Credit

 
November 10, 2012--It's fall at my house.
Bless the LORD, O my soul:  and all that is within me, bless his holy name.  Psalm 103: 1 (KJV)

One of my children told me about a health issue that had been resolved.  It had been a significant problem for many months, but now it was completely resolved.  I recalled saying to him some time ago that we needed to pray about it.

"That's an answer to our prayers you know," I said.  "It certainly is," he replied.  "Praise God."  We smiled at one another.

I was happy that God had answered our prayers, and that my son had told me about it, and I was also pleased that he had acknowledged God's hand at work.  While I sat there, considering God's mercy, I was struck by the thought, how many times must we fail to acknowledge that God has answered our prayers?  We experience the answered prayer, enjoy the benefits of His mercy and grace, but fail to stop and thank Him, and tell others about what's He's done for us.

I want to share the Scripture about Jesus healing the ten lepers.
 
Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!”
When he saw them, he said, Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed.
One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him—and he was a Samaritan.
 
Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?” Then he said to him, Rise and go; your faith has made you well.” Luke 17: 11-19 NIV
 
Only one returned to thank and praise God!  Jesus knew he had healed all ten.  Maybe only the one  leper realized in his body and his soul what Jesus had just done for him.  The miracle.  Maybe even greater than the physical healing was the healing of his inner man that allowed him to see Jesus for who He  really is.
 
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. Psalm 103:2a (KJV)

 Photo courtesy of Marissa Nicole Photography
 
May God bless you today.  I pray that you will realize in your body and your soul all the good things that God has done for you,  that you will rejoice and praise Him and in so doing feel a real lift in your spirit.  The God of the universe has done great things for you.
 
Thank you so much for visiting the blog today.  I hope you have been encouraged in some way.  I'd be pleased if you'd leave a comment below, or write me a message at writemoments@gmail.com


 

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding us to acknowledge God's blessings. We all forget sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ladies. And it's a reminder to myself as well. It's a moment by moment walk of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Rose, I am blessed with the presense of God - I am trying to remember to check in with Him hourly, this is my new goal. I loved your post today and felt your joy with your son's faithfulness, as I had experienced the very same thing with Jean-Marc. It is just wonderful when you can witness your children's loyalty to God. xoxo Jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jules. It is always so nice to hear from you. I admire your worthy resolution to practice the presence of God every hour. I pray He blesses you immensely and uses you to be a blessing to others, as you have been to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Rose! I have often thought about that Bible passage regarding the ten lepers and their healing. I agree with you - we need to thank God often and earnestly! Isn't it great when our children recognize God's favor and blessing! Thanks for the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Deborah. Yes, it is great when our children recognize God's favor and it's like you said, we need to thank God more. I know I've probably been one of the nine at times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good reminder to always remember to thank God for answers to prayer. So often, we forget because challenges seem to trip over themselves to get to us. But we always need to breath between challenges and give God praise. Thanks for this.
    rosemccormickbrandon.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Rose for sharing your thoughts. You are so right. We are so imperfectly human and the challenges do trip us up, and if we would just praise God more maybe we would feel more victorious. He is so worthy of our praise. Please visit again.

    ReplyDelete