Monday, August 11, 2014

Blessed to Be a Blessing

Beautiful Sunset on Beaver Creek Reservoir ~ photo courtesy of Eileen DeCamp

“I keep to myself.” My friend explained her habit, her way of coping with many of life’s issues. Those words coming from my beautiful self-confident friend surprised me and struck a cord.  I understood oh so well.

 I keep to myself.  

Our lives are so busy with work and family.  We concentrate our efforts at home. In addition to that, people hurt us. It’s natural to withdraw.  But not only withdraw from the person who hurt us, but also to associate the hurts to entire groups of people, to institutions.  

A dog bit you. So now you are afraid of ALL dogs.  Not just the mean little critter that sunk his teeth into your ankle twenty years ago, but to every single creature with four legs and a tail.  (I exaggerate to make my point.)

But the words “I keep to myself” kept nagging me.

I thought about my gifts. Those wonderful graces the Lord has bestowed upon me, my talents and strengths that I usually fail to appreciate.

And what about spiritual gifts?  We are told to “desire spiritual gifts” (1Corinthians 14:1) and “seek that we might excel to the edifying of the church.” (1 Corinthians 14:12)

So that would mean that the gifts God has given me are not just for my own personal development and enjoyment, they are for the benefit of the body of Christ.  We should use our gifts to edify the church.  By the church I’m not speaking of that brick and mortar building on the corner.  I’m referring to the body of Christ—those of us who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and call Him Lord.

“Edify” means to build up.  To me that also implies restoration.  A restoration into a relationship God designed us for before the foundation of the world.

So then, my conscience convicts me.

My tendency to “keep to myself”, to withdraw, to be hyper-critical of my gifts and talents and hide them away…to that tendency I begin to sense a gentle calling in my spirit, “No no, my child. Love edifies.  Love builds up.  Love restores.”

And the light comes on in my mind and shines in my heart.  Now I get it Lord!   It would be like hiding my light under a bushel.  (Matthew 5:15)  I can’t do that.  I have to let it shine.

All for His glory.

For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: til we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God….


Cape Henry Lighthouse on Fort Story ~ by Eileen DeCamp
Thanks for visiting Write Moments with God.  This isn't the neat little devotion I intended to bring you today, but it is the meditation that kept speaking to my heart. I hope it speaks to yours as well.  Be blessed and be a blessing.

I'd like to thank again Eileen DeCamp for her beautiful photography that she so generously shares with me. What a blessing this lovely and talented Christian friend has been to me. Thank you, Eileen.

And now to announce the winner of last week's book give-away.

Janet McPherson will be receiving a copy of Kathy Collard Miller's book, Partly Cloudy with Scattered Worries.  Thank you Kathy for being my guest last week, and thank you Janet for sharing your thoughts with us.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rose! It warms my heart to know that my photos are used here on your beautiful blog to the glory of God. Thank you for the message today. I think we all fail to appreciate the gifts that God bestows on us. You are using your gift to the joy of many! xxxooooEileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. As are you my friend. Thanks for being a blessing.

    ReplyDelete