Monday, August 14, 2017

Beware the Little Foxes and other little things

This adorable nibbler is a bunny ~ courtesy of the gifted Eileen DeCamp


Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Song of Solomon 2:15


I walk two miles every morning, heeding my doctor’s advice to maintain a brisk pace. So, I try not to stop, unless it’s to chat with a neighbor. I pray, look at the sky, listen to the birds, feel the fresh air on my face. But the other day, I got a pebble in my shoe. My attention was drawn again and again from the things I enjoy to that niggling pain in my foot.


I kept walking a few blocks, ignoring the pebble as best I could, hoping it would relocate and cease to be a bother. I endured it for as long as I could, then I took off my shoe and shook out the stone, no bigger than a pea. How could something so small cause so much discomfort and destroy my concentration?


I realized that, in a similar way, little things have enormous power to distract our attention from God. I am reminded of the Scripture to “beware the little foxes.”


Is anything competing for your attention in your devotion to God?


Sometimes, aren’t we liable to pay more attention to the media or our twitter feed than to the Word of God? It doesn’t have to be the devil or overwhelming circumstances that distract us and disturb our thoughts. It may only be the “little foxes, that spoil the vines”—the little annoyances, the little actual things in our daily lives that compete for our focus and strength and get in between our hearts and God. We forget to call to mind God’s word; we forget to pray without ceasing. We become troubled and lose our peace because of insignificant worldly things.


Remember Jesus’s words of warning regarding worldly things.

And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful. Mark 4:19


Be careful of anything that deflects your attention from God. Whether it be a pebble in your shoe, a thorn in your flesh, or a shew of other things.


Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:4

Beautiful picture courtesy of the lovely Eileen DeCamp

Thank you so much for visiting Write Moments with God. I appreciate you. As always, I pray that no matter where you are in this world or on your Christian journey, you will be blessed and encouraged by the words, pictures, and comments you find here. Feel free to comment, as well as share this post. In His care.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Rose,
    Thanks for this post today! I'm so happy you are back writing your blog! Thanks for including my photos! I hope we can get together one day soon for some iced tea and just sit and chat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Eileen. Lord willing, we will get together! I'm grateful to you that you are always willing to share your photography with us. Your beautiful pictures are exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thrilled to see you posted on your blog, Rose. And what a wonderful message it is. I needed this reminder to not let the little things distract me from focusing on God. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the first time we met, Pam, five years ago, you have been an encourager to me. I'm happy to know you've been blessed by this devotional. You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete