Saturday, September 15, 2012

Why do you think Jesus asks us to forgive "seventy times seven"?



Amazing sunset in Virginia courtesy of Eileen DeCamp
"Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" Luke 23:34a (KJV).

Christ's crucifixion and death involved pain, suffering, and humiliation beyond anything any of us will ever endure.  He was blameless, yet he took on the sins of the world in order to become the perfect sacrifice for our sins.  He forgave those who caused him pain and suffering, even as He hung on the cross.  As He suffered there, He prayed to God asking for their forgiveness, saying that they didn't know what they were doing.  Those who caused His death became recipients of His compassion and His forgiveness.  I won't pretend that I can comprehend such mercy.

When we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  God's forgiveness of our sins is the supreme demonstration of His divine mercy and grace.

We are expected to follow Jesus' example, extending forgiveness to all who sin against us. 

At the close of the Lord's Prayer, Jesus added, "For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if you forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses" (Matt. 6:14-15).

Peter wanted to know just how often he must forgive someone who sinned against him.  To his way of thinking, seven times seemed to be generous.  In comparison to the Old Testament law "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth", it was generous.  Jesus' response--"seventy times seven"--implies that our forgiveness must be unlimited.  Is such forgiveness humanly possible? 

Personally, I've faced some situations where I've told the Lord with tears streaming down my cheeks that He's asking me to do something that's too hard for me.  Sometimes the wrongs against us or our loved ones seem unforgiveable. 

 God understands what we are going through.  His Son was crucified. 

 Jesus understands.  He forgave even in the midst of His suffering.

When I feel it is too difficult for me to bend my emotions to God's will, I acknowledge His command for me to forgive, as well as my desire to honor Him by my obedience.  When I offer the mercy of forgiveness out of obedience to Christ, eventually my emotions come under the Lordship of Christ, and I come to realize that forgiveness is mine to give as well as to receive, thanks to Christ living in me.

Has someone's sin against you hurt you to the core?  You might want to pray this prayer as a love offering to Jesus and a step of faith.

          "By the power of the Holy Spirit working in me, I ask that You, Dear God, give me the will to forgive those who have sinned against me.  In Jesus' Name I pray.  Amen."


Photo courtesy of Eileen DeCamp--American Cemetery Normandy France
with Tara DeCamp

 May the God of mercy and peace be with you today.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Thank you so much for visiting this blog.  Come back again.
 

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely picture, Rose, and message. After a crummy, crummy week I'm glad to have this piece of encouragement. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rose! It is hard to forgive sometimes and something we all need to pray about

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found that it is easier to forgive people for offenses against me than for offenses against the ones whom I love. For many years I could not pray all of the Lord's Prayer, because I could not forgive someone who had grievously harmed one of my children. But you are right, Rose, we can forgive through the power of the indwelling Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God for that. I pray that by your sharing this very personal confession, others will be encouraged to do the same thing. We know it's only by His grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think obedience to Jesus' instruction to forgive seventy times seven sets a number of things in motion: 1)forgiving someone who has hurt me or mine sets me free from haboring hatred and the desire for retribution in my heart; 2) forgiving someone gets me out of the way so that God can work out everything for my good and God can work in the other person or persons' lives; and 3) forgiving almost five hundred times makes the act and attitude of forgiving a habit. Never easy to do, but how freeing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how you broke that down and explained the three things you think are set into motion by forgiving "seventy times seven". I appreciate your comment. Thank you. I'm going to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I can relate to the struggle to forgive. Some days I can't seem to do it without God's help. I have to remind myself that God is a far better judge than i am, and that he can handle the situation better. Only then can I walk away.

    I'm reminded of Joseph. His brothers disliked him so much that they sold him into slavery. But when they appeared in Egypt years later, God had done a work in their lives. If I leave God to do his work, it's so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "If I leave God to do his work, it's so much better." When I read those words, tears came to my eyes. This is so true. I pray for us to have that humility and grace to leave God to do His work. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete