Thursday, December 20, 2012

Come Quickly Lord Jesus

On the way to Bethlehem -- Google image

I’ve heard it said that we are in God’s waiting room.  At first thought somber images come to mind, but those are quickly displaced by the sweetest memories of waiting in the delivery room.  We’ve all awaited the birth of a baby.  An expectant mother learns best what it means to wait.  She anticipates in trepidation the long awaited event.  Although she may fear the unknown and the pain to be endured, she expects to joyfully welcome the baby into her arms and her heart and her life.  I remember well preparing with tender care for the arrivals of my own six children. I would clean the house, and pack my overnight bag, having prepared a place for the baby, and gently folding and touching every piece of the tiny layette.

Mary waited for the arrival of  her child--the long anticipated, foretold through the ages, arrival of our flesh and blood Savior.  Like every young mother, she watched for signs that the day was approaching.  Every little flutter deep within, as close as her heartbeat, caused her to be still and know that the day was coming.

Advent marks a season when Christians everywhere relive those events which led up to the birth of the Messiah.  Advent is a season of waiting in which we prepare our hearts to receive our Lord.  Every year we celebrate with renewed joy because we know it is eternally relevant to us who live by faith. 

Yes, you might say, we are in God’s waiting room. 

With his humble birth, the Word of God was made flesh, and God lived amongst us.  
After Jesus’ resurrection and ascension into Heaven, the apostles and believers awaited the promise of the Father, and the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost. 

Today we await the final manifestation of His glory for which we pray every day . . . thy kingdom come . . .  the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

And it will surely come, just as surely as the child was born, and the Holy Spirit descended from Heaven.

May our hearts be filled with joy this season.  We serve a faithful and living God who always delivers what He promises. He will not disappoint us.  Today let us pray as Mary must have prayed, Oh come quickly Lord Jesus. 

Blessed are those servants, whom the Lord when he comes shall find watching.  Luke 12:37a (KJV)
Window in The Church of the Most Holy Trinity--Augusta, GA
 

God bless you at Christmas and always.  I'm so glad we can meet on Write Moments with God.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Rose for this most beautiful post...yes I too feel like Mary in the waiting room. Thank you for reminding me to 'be still' and watch the signs of our Savior's return - I try to remember to watch each day. This has become almost a full time job for me as I search the tempo of each day through the media - alternative media - internet weather - social media - the list goes on and on. Finally I come back to my precious Bible to fill myself with whatever message God has for me each day...Psalm 91 seems to bring me the most peace lately.

    XOXO

    JULES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jules, I love the joy and kindness that always comes through your words. I am so blessed to have gotten to know you this year. I too return again and again to my Bible for God's messages to me. Psalm 91 is a cherished favorite. It was my favorite Psalm when my son was in Iraq for a year in 2003. It was a comfort to me. Blessings to you and your dear family at Christmas and all year long.

    ReplyDelete