Thursday, January 10, 2013

Consider the Lilies of the Field

Beautiful photography today courtesy of Eileen DeCamp--Blue Ridge Lavender

Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin, Matthew 6:28b (KJV).

With six children, there is always something I could worry about. And with a hundred and fifty high school students on my class rosters, my head could spin about that. But wouldn't that be a waste of my time? Isn't that a lack of faith in God?

So much has been written about worry, I'm sure I can't say anything new. It's a part of the universal human condition. Jesus knew our condition when he gave us his principle for living worry-free.

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto this day is the evil thereof," Matthew 6:34 (KJV).

Jesus spoke about worry in his Sermon on the Mount. Take therefore no thought for the morrow . . . . Don't worry about tomorrow. Don't even give it a thought. We're given only one day at a time.  Tomorrow may never come.
 
For the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself . . . . Tomorrow we can think about tomorrow's business.
 
Sufficient unto this day is the evil thereof. There is enough to deal with today.

We know His words.
 
We know our God is bigger than all our problems today and the ones that we might face tomorrow. Yet, it is a step-by-step walk of faith every day.
 
And when each day is done, it becomes that wonderful part of our story called the past. Once lived, it's done, saved for all eternity. If we trust Jesus to help us live each day as best we can, without worry, we can enjoy the treasure of a life well-lived. Trusting Him to take care of us just like he does the lilies of the field.

Casting all your care upon him; for he cares for you, 1 Peter 5:7.
 

I know He cares for you, precious one. Be blessed with a carefree day.  You are so much more valuable that the lilies and the birds. I have to hang onto His Truth.

Might you consider leaving a comment below?  I love hearing from you.  Please visit again.

And leave a comment on the previous post regarding Jennifer Rothschild.  It's not too late to qualify to win one of her inspirational books!

8 comments:

  1. I have been very concerned about a good friend of mine due to a medical emergency she had on December 27th. She is still recovering in the hospital. I have had to remind myself several times that worrying about her situation does neither of us any good. I have contacted several of our mutual friends and some of my family members to let them know her situation and to ask for their prayers for her situation and for me in dealing with her situation. It is often so hard for me to let go and just let God handle things but I have been able to in this case. It has made things so much better for me. Thanks for the reminder to not worry, Rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I'm glad this is just what you needed to read today. I pray that God will give you wisdom and strength and His peace to pray and support your friend in her need. I pray God's grace will be with you both. God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this much needed reminder so beautifully expressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rose -
    You don't know me but I used to work w/ Amy and it is through her FB that I have found your blog. You are truly an amazing writer. It has been such a tough week - my husband doesn't have a job, my daughter is struggling w/ getting into college, and the difficulties faced by my students are sometimes too numerous to list. Naturally, one begins to worry and be fearful of what is coming next.
    Your post really touched my spirit and I am blessed to receive a reminder about God's love and protection at a time when it is so needed. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate so much your heartfelt words. Isn't it wonderful that you found this message just when you needed it most. And you have probably read such messages before, but we need reminding over and over, because just like I said, it truly is a step by step walk of faith. I have to remind myself sometimes minute by minute to hang on to the promises of God. I know I can trust Him; I can trust the integrity of His word. Heaven and earth will pass away, but God's Word will never pass away. So, I encourage you to find a Scripture that speaks to your heart, that speaks to your sitation, and hang onto it. I hope you will always find encouragement and strength for your journey on this blog. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Rose. I needed this today. I'm facing a tough decision at work,and doing my best to trust the Lord for the outcome.

    Love
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanette, I pray God gives you wisdom to make the right decision and faith to trust God for the outcome. I'm so glad you read this and it blessed you.

      Delete