Thursday, January 31, 2013

Why Did the Apostle Paul Give Us a List of 8 Things to Think About

Granddaughter Mya reading Who Is God? by Kathleen Ruckman
 
 You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you Isaiah 26:3a (NKJV).

I visited the home improvement store last week. I enjoyed the background music as I browsed the aisles. The cashier was listening, too, because as I checked out, she actually started singing the lyrics of the catchy tune that filled the airwaves.

Maybe that's when it got stuck in my head. I first noticed it as I waited at the traffic light. I was singing it in my mind. By the time I got to the grocery store, I was belting it outloud. It wasn't even a song I liked. That wasn't the end of it. It happened the next day, and the next. When I started writing this, it happened again.

Do you know what I mean? Haven't we all had songs stuck in our heads. We hear it on the radio in the car, or in church, or in the home improvement store, and at the most unexpected time, it plays over and over like a broken record. Unfortunately, negative thoughts, self-doubts, painful memories, and worry can get stuck in our heads as well. And like that song I was singing even though I didn't like it, those negative thoughts can play over and over again in our minds causing us to lose our peace.

For our mental and spiritual health, it's important that we control those negative thoughts. The apostle Paul has given us a simple list.

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things...and the God of peace shall be with you" Philippians 4:8-9 (KJV).

Could he have been any more direct? Paul said "think on these things". I like the promise he gives. The God of peace shall be with you.


Do you have a favorite Scripture that helps you overcome negative thinking?

Melanie's rescued kittens in a box
 
Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you," John 14:27a.

Those of you who read Write Moments with God regularly will remember this is a devotion I wrote last summer.  It's been a favorite with readers. Feel free to leave your comments below.  I'd like to hear from you.  Be sure to visit this upcoming Monday when I will have the featured author of the month and book give away.

May His peace be with you.


8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Rose

    A week ago, while scrapbooking, a song popped in my head: Austin, by Blake Shelton. This song always gave me goosebumps (still does). I have no idea why I suddenly started singing it as it doesn't play on the Christian station, which is what I always listen to.

    Forgetting why I'd stopped listening to country music, I turned the dial to the Country station.

    Wow... I enjoy the 'music', but the lyrics of some of the songs certainly don't coincide with Paul's message of things that are true, honest, and just, PURE, lovely, and of good report; virtue, and praise...

    I went back and forth between the two stations but other than a few love songs, all I heard about was whiskey, beer and bars (and a few other things I don't care to repeat). As John Tesh says so well on the Christian station, "that ain't family friendly". Finally, disgusted, I turned it off.

    The language coming from the DJ was not at all what I wanted to hear and I'm certain it wasn't pleasing to God.

    Thank you for the reminder of what we need to focus on. I'll stick to the Christian Station.

    Blessings,

    Renee-Ann
    <><

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee-Ann, thank you for sharing. I knew people could relate. We need to remind ourselves to focus on those good things and let the Lord give us His peace. Blessings.

      Delete
  4. How many wars could have been avoided if those words from Paul had been remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rose,

    Thank you for this most lovely and timely post. I am lucky because the Holy Spirit tapped me on the shoulder the other day and told me to back off on too much research about what is going on the the real world today. I was dragging around with the weight of the world on my shoulders when I heard his voice tell me 'No weapon formed against you shall prosper.' That's exactly what your wise message is about - and it is always good to know what to replace those harmful messages with. I thought I was supposed to replace these thoughts with scripture - but how refreashing it is to now know that I can pause and just hang out with thoughts of beauty, good report,truth,honesty, pureity, justice etc. We have to face the truth of what is really going on in our world today - how wonderful it is to know the TRUTH and that because of Jesus we are no longer of this world.

    XOXO

    JULES

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jules, I love to hear from you. Your words are always so kind and uplifting. Thank you for taking the time. Blessings to you and your family dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rose,
    I was thinking about the verse you refer to a while ago and I got to wondering how much of the depression and "lack of self esteem", so-called, that exists in our churches could be banished if we would take our eyes off ourselves and our circumstances and focus on God. I think that it is not just the obvious "bad" things that we have to avoid. It is also the seemingly neutral things that cause us problems. When people ask me what's wrong with something, I turn it around and ask them what's right with it? Does it honour God? Quite often the discussion stops right there. I was at one of those that Jules referred to who was told we should be replacing negative thoughts with scripture. But as this verse and James 1:17, such a position is actually contrary to scripture. All good things come from God and we would do well to "think on them". We forget that God is behind all good things. All too often we get to be like Peter and get overwhelmed by our own problems and take our eyes off Jesus; or is it the other way around........we take our eyes off Jesus and get overwhelmed by the problems that causes?
    George

    ReplyDelete