Saturday, July 28, 2012

Christmas in July

Classic gift box from Tiffany's
          My Daddy, God rest his soul, had a curious habit.  He wouldn't open his Christmas and birthday gifts.  Daddy's birthday was the day after Christmas, so his Christmas and birthday gifts were usually rolled into one.  Sometimes he might open one, and he seemed to enjoy that, but usually he'd take his little stack of gifts and set them aside.  It wasn't unusual for me to see the gifts still unopened months later.

           I'd see the box I'd wrapped and think how I had wanted him to have those warm pyjamas or new slippers or new handkerchiefs.  So, sometimes I'd take the gift, and say,  "Daddy, you haven't opened your presents yet?  Can I open this one for you? 

          "All right," he'd say, "but you really didn't need to give me anything."

          I'd unwrap the gift and give the item to him, and he would seem pleased.  He would always add, "But you really didn't have to give me anything."

           I don't know why Daddy was reluctant to open the gifts he received. I just wish he would have enjoyed his gifts more.  After all, they were gifts I wanted him to have.

          I think we are sometimes like that about the gifts God wants us to have.

          "For God so loved the world, that He gave...." (John 3:16)

          How many gifts has He made available to us that we haven't even opened yet?

          For God so loved the world, that He gave
       
          His only begotten son, Jesus

          Everlasting life

          Peace (John 14:27)

          Every good and perfect gift (James 1:17)

          And we have to open His gifts for ourselves.

          Wisdom, knowledge, joy (Ecclesiastes 2:26)

          Sleep (Psalm 127:2)

          Keys to the kingdom (Matthew 16:19)

          Power over evil (Luke 10:19)

          Living water (John 4:10)

          We even have the promise "Delight yourself also in the Lord, and he shall give you the desires of your heart," Psalm 37:4.

Let's receive the gifts God has for us with the joy and enthusiasm of a child on Christmas morning.          

                                                                                   


[The image gadget isn't coorperating with me today for me to label and size these adorable pics as I'd like.  The first picture was graciously provided by Marisel Jarrin Kleppen of her little Jake.  The second picture is of my children and grandchildren opening presents here on Christmas morning, 2011.]

                                                                               

                                                                              
         


                                                                               

2 comments:

  1. Every family has its own quirky traditions, yes...my newest dil's grandmother's birthday is December 24, and she will not treat it as Christmas Eve, but as her birthday. We don't get to see them on that day, and have decided not to rush them to visit us until later when they don't feel harried. I've also known others who choose to celebrate a holiday birthday at the six-month mark. I love it when holidays go on and on. I fixed my personal feeling of gift guilt by saying I can't allow others to be blessed if I don't receive anything, if I respect the message that it's more blessed to give than receive. If no one ever received, how could we give?
    Nice thoughts today, Rose. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your post about your Dad and his gifts, but thank you most of all for reminding us of all the gifts God has given us and the choice we have to receive them. Blessings, Deborah H. Bateman-Author

    ReplyDelete